photograph – Peter Spencer and Alastair McRobert on suburban train after yesterday’s hearings
UPDATE, Day 6 of the trial, Monday 1 December
This morning, Peter Spencer had an opportunity today to correct any inconsistencies that came up in his examination last week. Peter had been under oath since last Thursday morning through to this morning. He coped with the grilling from the respondents’ senior counsel barristers who were determined to try and upset him.
Proceedings continued with three witnesses called by the State being government department employees. The cross examination of these witnesses was completed before the lunch break and the issue about the issued subpoena for Dr David Kemp was discussed.
Justice Mortimer issued an Order that former Howard Government Minister, Dr David Kemp appear as a witness.
The order followed a series of events:
• A subpoena was issued to Dr David Kemp dated 21 Nov, 2014. The attempts to execute the subpoena at that time failed when Dr Kemp’s office in Old Parliament House was approached.
• Last week, Justice Mortimer expressed her concern to the Commonwealth’s barrister about their knowledge of the situation. At the time making it clear that Dr Kemp’s availability was no reflection on the Australian Government Solicitor (AGS).
• The AGS indicated that it had been in contact with Dr Kemp.
• On Friday an order was made that Dr Kemp contact Peter Spencer as soon as possible.
• This morning Mortimer J was informed by submissions that Dr Kemp had not made contact with the applicant and sworn affidavits containing a number of events showing the difficulties while trying to serve the subpoena were handed to the Judge.
After some deliberations with the parties Justice Mortimer adjourned the Court hearing for 1½ hours while she reviewed the reasons for Dr Kemp being called as a witness.
Justice Mortimer returned and made orders:
1. The subpoena issued to Dr David Kemp dated 21 November 2014 be set aside.
2. Dr David Kemp attend at the trial of this proceeding on Thursday 4 December 2014 at 10.15 am, at Court 22B in the Federal Court of Australia, Law Courts Building, Queens Square, Sydney 2000.